MAHOGANY SHIP'S TWO-PART DROP-LEAF TABLE FROM THE S.S. 'GOVERNOR COBB' OF THE EASTERN STEAMSHIP LINE. The Governor Cobb, was America's first turbine powered steamboat. She was launched in 1906. Named for Maine's Governor William T. Cobb, her homeport was Bath. The 289 foot steamboat sailed the New England coast until 1937, when she was recruited for naval service during World War II. In June 1944, the Governor Cobb was converted to the first helicopter launching ship. She was scrapped in 1947. The rectangular top has molded edges and two drop leaves with two fitted recessed covered pen and ink holders. Also, there are a pair of double brass and glass candleholders, above an inset shaped apron on turned ring and turned legs joined by cross stretchers. The stretchers in the center have ornate brass key-form locking floor bolts. (F-514)
Provenance: Originally owned by Eastern Steamship employee, Edward Waldron, who acquired the table in the late 1930s during an overhaul of the Governor Cobb, and by descent in the family.
Condition: The table has an original finish which shows minor wear.
Dimensions: Leaf Down 27 1/2 inches; Leaf Up 50 inches; Fully Extended 101 inches; Height 29 1/2 inches; Width 40 inches.