Information

riginal two-sided tin sign with green painted molding around the perimeter, American, circa 1880. The gold leaf lettering stating “BOSTON YACHT CLUB” appears on both sides of the sign. Both sides of the sign have gold leaf lettering with a black smaltz background on the weather side and a blue-gray colored smaltz background on the opposite site. A fine and rare example of an early American yacht club sign.
Condition: The sign has a wonderful original weathered surface. There is a small molding loss on the weather side below the center arch near the top center of the sign. The black smaltz side shows more weathering to the gold leaf and wood than the opposite blue- gray side.
Condition: The sign has a wonderful original weathered surface. There is a small molding loss on the weather side below the center arch near the top center of the sign. The black smaltz side shows more weathering to the gold leaf and wood than the opposite blue- gray side.
Note: The Boston Yacht Club was founded in 1866 by three Dartmouth alumni who sought a venue for yacht racing that would provide "that spirit of comradeship, of courtesy and chivalry, of sympathetic joy in a common sport". Ninety original members began the club, including the then 18 year old Nat Herreshoff. One year later, Herreshoff drafted the first sailing measurement rule that later became the basis for future handicap rating systems. In 1874 the first clubhouse was opened at City Point in South Boston, membership then numbering 250 with over 80 yachts. Through a series of club mergers, the Boston Yacht Club grew and, by 1910, the club operated from six different stations: Rowe's Wharf in Boston, Hull, City Point in South Boston, Marblehead, Dorchester, and Five Islands in Sheepscot Bay, Maine. Today the club operates from a single station in Marblehead, with 500 members and 400 yachts flying the BYC burgee.
Dimensions: Height 21 5/8, Width 28 3/4 inches